Thursday, August 16, 2012

Well today they are officially 2 weeks old and 32w2d. We had our follow up head ultrasounds today.

Gavin was diagnosed with Periventricular leukomalacia or PVL.

heres a website that explains it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004493/

We were told there is a pretty high chance of cerebral palsy. The cyst we saw on his ultrasound last week had deteriorated. If you think of his brain as the size of a grape fruit, he had a cyst about the size of a marble located in the motor/movement part of his brain and that piece of brain is gone and will never grow back. This week on his ultrasound he has now developed 3-4 more cysts/dense areas on his brain that may or may not deteriorate. He had a follow up head ultrasound in about 2 weeks. If you read on the website I included or google on your own you will see there are a lot of potential complications ranging from extremely mild to a completely disabling life including being a quadrapelig with mental disabilities. We will have to wait until they beginning using that part of the brain more to sit up, roll over, crawl, ect at 6mos when they begin early intervention therapy with an occupational, speech & language, and physical therapists. If the damage is severe enough we will begin to se it as early as 1month when we try nursing and feeding without the feeding tube. He is back up to his birth weight though and still gaining :) he has been alert and making the cutest faces at his mama and daddy! Hes up to 34ml/3hr and a multivitamin once a day.

Gabe showed a small insignificant st located in a part of the brain rarely used unless he's the next Albert Einstein, if so it may hinder him a bit, but if he's anything less it won't bother him a bit. The dr said they consider it benign and not an issue because it's about the size of a piece of rice on a grape fruit. He is up to 3lb 9oz and eating the same as his brother! :)

I haven't held either in 5 days! because just my luck, I got bronchitis from a cold ethan had! I was going to hold them tonight but when we got there the division cheif of the nicu had his tech doing a more through head u/s to check their neonatolgists diagnosis. So tomorrow it is! And I'm taking my time doing it :)

Droppin e off at aunt cathys to be a little ham for everyone :) We will start at 5p and the we will be late, but dinner with everyone after!

I had my incision checked today. They took off most of my steri strips but I busted part of it open from coughing and blowing my nose so they kept it over the weak part and added a band aid for good measure lol i am approved to drive again in a week. So I need to get my license renewed. It expired on bed rest. I still cannot lift more the. 10lb now for 4 more weeks. So sorry e :( mommy still can't pick you up at all. I'm allowed to go for walks if I'd like but if my incision hurts I have to stop.

The dr is worried that I only gained 10lbs, as of my day of delivery, with this pregnancy and I've already lost 25lb in 14 days. He says since I'm breastfeeding I need to increase my calories significantly because losing the weight this fast will hurt my body since I'm healing, anemic, sick, stressed, and breast feeding.

We addressed birth control. I know my entire family is excited to hear about that. We have decided on mirena. I get it in 4 weeks.

Other then that just taking it easy! If anyone has any shelving units, those Rubbermaid containers that stand up with the drawers like dressers, old dressers ect I will gladly take them for all my boys clothing. I am in serious need of some organization. So dont go out of your way but please think of us before you retire them to the landfill!


I posted the boys names On their pictures. They're a little grainy tonight as the lights were turned off and a picture of my healing incision for all you twin mamas and TTTS mamas who read and are still pregnant and curious :) and a pic of Tim and Ethan! Idk of I posted it already but they're so darn cute!

1 comment:

  1. Gavin (and of course gabe and ur family are in my prayers) my good friend has a son with severe cerebral palsy, and he is still the most happy wonderful human being. Very intelligent too, just can't communicate that to you. He truly changed the way I interacted and thought of disabled people. God gave these boys to you the way they are for a reason;) I suppose its our duty to figure that part out. I love reading about your beautiful little family and my thoughts are with u!
    Emily from Texas
    Redstarink on babycenter
    Expecting twin girls December
    Possible ttts

    ReplyDelete