Wednesday, May 30, 2012

We just finished up with our appointment at the fetal care center. Dr. Lim was very nice and sat down to answer all of my questions. We are going to be having surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30am.

Gavin's cardiomiopthy has gotten worse. His Tei Index numbers have more then doubled on his right and left ventricles but there was no signs on the Tricuspid regurg. The doctor told us that if we do serial amnioreductions that I would need to do one or more a week until delivery and the risk to the babies and me would only get us to 23 weeks. That the risk of having 3 amnioreductions, which I have already had one, is the same risk to the babies as having the SFLP one time.

They said "doing the amnioreductions at this point would be like trying to spit on a fire."

But if we do nothing with the babies, AR or SFLP, then Gavin will die within the next 3-4 weeks due to his heart condition. And that doing the serial ARs for the next 3 weeks to make them viable will do nothing because babies born at 24 weeks weighing a pound with his heart condition wont survive, and Gabe won't be over a pound and has secondary kidney issues to the TTTS.

Gabriel is hanging in there! His heart looks great and his bladder is full. But if we lose Gavin because of the shared blood connections we will lose Gabriel or he will have extreme neurological issues or become brain dead.

There is a 93% chance we could bring home one baby, a 70% chance we will bring home both, and an

Before Dr. Lim came in to see us they had already had me scheduled for the first surgery of tomorrow morning. That's when I realized how serious this had become. I am now at a Cincinnati stage IIIC, which means we have serious cardiac issues.

SOOO, now I am on peridal? I'm not exactly sure. I have to take it every 6 hours on the hour to help Gavin. It will be no different then breastfeeding Ethan. I'll just have to set an alarm on my phone and be diligent about it.

We are in the cafeteria now, wasting time, while we wait for my prescription to be filled. They said an hour and a half. So I'm now eating a vegetarian panini, brocolli cheddar soup, and a smart water. We are going to go check into our new hotel after this for tonight, Residence Inn North/Sharonville, thanks to Emily on babycenter for gracious helping us out!

Today Dr. Lim told my mom, she at her age, (which is young) that she had a better chance of winning the lottery then she did having identical twins with twin to twin transfusion syndrome.

No eating or drinking after midnight except to take my medicine at 6am so hopefully we can have a feast in our hotel room.

I'm a bundle of nerves and have still yet to talk to Tim. His mom has Ethan and I told her all about it. He is sleeping after his graveyard shift and has to be back at 6pm to work late again!

I wish he and Ethan were here. :(


Oh and on a positive note I have gained 12lbs worth of fluid in a week and a half!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Honey, we are so sorry the news wasn't better.You hang in there and we'll all be praying for your boys. Think only positive thoughts. Love, Grandpa Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess - you are absolutely welcome, I only wish I could do more. You and those babies are in my prayers constantly, and I can't wait to hear how well they're both doing after surgery tomorrow. How long is the surgery? I bet it's hard being away from Tim and Ethan, but you're all where you are supposed to be right now! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that they've recommended the surgery, however, those odds sound much better than what I've heard so I will definitely be thinking of you and your little boys throughout the evening and morning!

    For my amnio-reduction last week they were only able to get our recipient's fluid down to just under 8cm before my uterus started contracting. Thankfully when we checked this week the fluid for the recipient had not gone back up and the donor had about the same amount as last week as well. They are still holding out around Stage I so we're going to check on them again next week.

    I'm looking forward to hearing how everything goes tomorrow morning. Not eating is definitely a total drag when pregnant - hopefully you can get a little rest and sleep through the nerves and hunger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa- thank you :) I am trying to remain strong and positive for all my little men! Keep praying!

    Emily- the surgery takes 2.5 hours if all goes well. An hour to give me an epidural, seditive, catheter, and a local anestetic before the procedure. And 1.5 hours for them to map out the connections and sever all the ties.

    Jenny- hang in there! after our amnio we remained stable for about 2 weeks before things got bad again. NOT saying that will happen to you. only 40% of amnios fail and 33% of women don't progress past stage 1. We were sent to Cincinnati they were the closet, best place, with the best results for their treatment to where we live! I am so nervous its unreal! we will just have to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete