Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 6 & 7 July 9-10


Today was all about planning and saving money. 

We are a one income family and thankfully fall into the income limit for WIC, or the federally funded Women's, infants, children's program here in Illinois. With Gavin and Gabe's special needs it allows is to save upwards of $500 a month on pediasure. So when I make a trip to walmart, once a month usually, it's a big one. A trip full with 2 carts of supplies, and all of our 16 desperate WIC coupons to use for the boys. 



Yesterday my sisters ended up coming with to help out. We ended up getting 114 bottles of pediasure, 4 gallons of milk, 2 loaves of bread, 2 large boxes of cereal, 2 things of juice, 1 peanut butter, 2 dozen eggs, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, bananas, peaches, apples for free. That along with a few lunchtime odds and ends, pack of natural hotdogs, 2 things of ham lunch meat, trail mix, veggie straws, only set me back $12. 

Diaper duty 

Today was diaper day at my house. There is nothing more satisfying to a cloth diapering mama to see your diapers getting some sun on the line. The sun not only bleachs out unsightly stains but it also has antimocrobial properties killing bacteria and helping to sanitize the diapers. 

My routine for diapers is fairly simple. I run a regular load on hot/cold with no detergent. When it's complete I add some Plant Brand detergent and run it through again and then I line dry them. No fuss! My diapers have held up almost 3 years now with no issues. (Besides that dreaded wet bag I found after we moved that grew penis shaped mushrooms. The mushrooms literally ate holes in the diapers! Needless to say the tenticle mess was thrown out.) 


Garden time 

Ethan's first round of sunflowers are finally about double his size. The second set we planted last week have yet to make an appearance but it may have been too late in the season. 

Our mini pumpkins are also getting out of control! They have engulfed two tomato plants we had out on the side of the house but I'm afraid it's too late to transplant them. Next year they will have to find a new home. 

The rest of the garden is doing great! I am just waiting until the first set of corn is ready. The silk is starting to brown. The ears, which have been grown organicly like the rest of our garden, are a lot smaller then commercially grown corn. I can't wait until they're ready to be pulled out so I can make room for my fall garden and allow some more sun to hit my tomato and peppers. I learned my lesson this year that I should've planted my rows east to west instead of north to south so it wouldn't block out the sun to my shorter crops. 
The rest is getting there. My zucchini, squash, new corn, pumpkins, and beans are starting to get big enough to produce blossoms and fruit. 




My carrots are getting there and the new crop of lettuce has yet to make an appearance. 



My cucumbers are getting ready to eat my cherry tomatoes and jalapeƱos. There are about 100 cucumber blossoms getting ready to go so I'm sure they will be coming out within the month which will allow my peppers and tomatoes to get some more light. 


Next year I will surely be planning out my garden more efficiently and will be making it a little larger. 
 
Hopefully tonight this little mister stays in his bed because I'm not sure I can take another night on head in my ribs. 


Planning a yard sale for Saturday. More to come. Wish me luck! 

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10234419/?claim=qznfmmzh3zz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment